Friday, September 7, 2012

Fresca and ME!

Last night, on my way to a PTO meeting at my daughter's school, I decided to stop and grab a quick drink to tied me over...not know how long the meeting might go. I'm a big time drinker of water...but after like 64oz of water throughout the day...I was looking for something with a little bit of taste, but with no calories or caffeine. I normally would buy Sobe's LifeWater...which is usually 0 calories and naturally flavored...but last night a bit of nostalgia and youthfulness took over when I saw that bottle of Fresca sitting there.
I grab and pay for my Fresca, feeling youthful, carefree and a bit of a rebel since I rarely drink soda these days in general.

As the meeting goes on, a slight and uncomfortable pressure started behind my right eyeball and some slight water retention in my fingers and toes. This usually signifies a migraine is looming due to dehydration. If I can get a good 16oz of water consumed ASAP, I'm good. As this is happening and I'm pondering the trigger, my eyes catch the Fresca bottle, which happens to have it's ingredients list in my line of sight:
Carbonated water, citric acid, concentrated grapefruit juice, potassium citrate, potassium benzoate and EDTA (preservatives), aspartame, acesulfame potassium, acacia, natural flavors, glycerol ester of wood rosin, brominated vegetable oil, carob bean gum
HOLY SMOKES. Potassium Benzoate AND EDTA AND Aspartame. The Benzoate and the Aspartame are bad enough...but the EDTA takes the cake: "EDTA is mainly synthesised from ethylenediamine (1,2-diaminoethane), formaldehyde, and sodium cyanide". Ummm....really?!

What's up Coca-Cola Company?! What's up?!


No comments:

Post a Comment