Monday, November 12, 2012

Christmas is coming!

Christmas is coming! I love Christmas. I love Christmas traditions. One of my favorites is baking cinnamon rolls first thing in the AM, while the kids are tearing through their presents. I arrange and decorate them to resemble a big, fat Christmas tree in the pan.
Of course because my hub and I are still Santa's Helpers on Christmas Eve, I'm a bit too busy to make these rolls from scratch. In the past I've used Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls, but of course those have artificial flavor as well as numerous preservatives including potassium sorbate, BHT, BHA, polysorbate 60. I've made Christmas morning an exception for Jess, and have let her eat these...risking the sanity of the family, the health of her stomach and the chance she'll break out in hives.

Making this choice results in a less-than-festive day...but it was always "worth it" so that she could participate in our tradition...and quite frankly it SUCKS to always have to tell your kid "No babe, you can't have 'xyz'."

This year, I decided to do this differently. Her mental and physical health take precedence. Searching the web for a good, yet fairly simple Cinnamon Roll recipe isn't easy. Most are good...few are "fairly simple".

Preparing myself mentally to make these rolls a few days ahead of time and then freeze them for baking on Christmas morning, I have just stumbled upon the Immaculate Baking Company's packaged Cinnamon Rolls.

Their "promise" is: "No Artificial Flavors"...but does not include Preservatives or Colors. The ingredients all appear to be safe, but I hold reservations when preservative or color use is not specified on the label.

...I've used their frozen cookie dough in the past, so I have high hopes...stay tuned! :)

01/02/13 - POST CHRISTMAS UPDATE:
These rolls were a SMASHING success. I actually used 1 package of their Cinnamon Rolls and 1 package of their Chocolate Rolls. Perfection!! I decorated 80% of them with colored icing and made sure to leave a few without for Jess. It was perfection! Score :D


No comments:

Post a Comment